Medicare & Fibromyalgia

Around 4 million people in the U.S. are living with fibromyalgia, a medical condition that causes musculoskeletal pain throughout the body. If you suffer from fibromyalgia, you might be wondering what kind of treatments are out there for you, and if Medicare will cover these treatments. Let’s take a look at this condition, since the better you understand it, the more prepared you will be to deal with it and seek the proper treatment for it. And when it comes to coverage, Medicare will cover it, with some limitations. 

Fibromyalgia Explained

As we have already mentioned, around 4 million Americans are living with fibromyalgia. This chronic, long-term illness causes widespread muscle and joint pain, as well as fatigue. The pain that it causes can come and go; it is unclear what causes it, but researchers have speculated that stress and genetics can play a part in developing the disease. Because the cause is unclear, if you are diagnosed with fibromyalgia, you will have to experiment with ways to manage it that work for you, including lifestyle changes, therapies, and medications. 

When it comes to who is more susceptible to developing fibromyalgia, anyone can get it, even children, but it does affect women twice as often as it does men. Some risk factors seem to include:baby legs with a monitor on the foot

  • Being born prematurely
  • Traumatic life events, such as abuse or accidents
  • Medical conditions, such as viral infections or other illnesses
  • Anxiety, depression, other mood disorders, or PTSD
  • Poor sleep habits
  • Lack of exercise


In addition to the pain and fatigue, symptoms of fibromyalgia can also include:

  • Anxiety or depression
  • Digestive problems, including diarrhea or constipation
  • Face or jaw pain (temporomandibular disorders)
  • Headaches or migraines
  • Memory problems
  • Tingling or numbness in hands or feet

Treating Fibromyalgia

As stated, there is no cure for fibromyalgia, but there are things you can do to lessen its effects. There might be triggers that cause it to flare up, but you can make small changes in your routine that can help to keep these flare-ups to a minimum, including:

older woman doing yoga
Exercising more can help you manage fibromyalgia better.
  • Changing your diet
  • Adopting better sleep habits
  • Learning stress management techniques
  • Exercising more, especially strength training
  • Trying medications like antidepressants
  • Engaging in cognitive therapy

Medicare Coverage

Medicare can help cover the cost of treatments for fibromyalgia, particularly through Medicare Part B. Part B is medical insurance, which covers doctor visits, and any necessary tests needed to make the diagnosis, as well as any therapy or medications. Medicare Part B will cover 80% of your medical services, but you will have to pay your Part B deductible, as well as the 20%  that Medicare does not cover.

If you need to be hospitalized for fibromyalgia, Medicare Part A will cover the cost of the hospital stay and any in-patient rehab. 

Extra Coverage

If you want some extra coverage, you can opt to get an affordable Medicare Supplement Plan. Medicare Part B covers a lot, but as we pointed out above, it will only cover 80% of expenses, leaving you the remaining 20% to pay out-of-pocket. This can be quite expensive, especially if you are living on a fixed income, as many Medicare beneficiaries are. Fortunately, though, you can save money on medical expenses and get extra coverage by purchasing a Medicare Supplement Plan. 

There are 10 different Medicare Supplement Plans to choose from, each offering different coverage options and rates. It’s worth looking into a Medicare Supplement Plan to save as much money as you can, so speak to an EZ agent for all of your options. EZ’s agents work with the top-rated insurance companies in the nation and can compare plans in minutes for you at no cost. To get free instant quotes for plans that cover your current doctors, simply enter your zip code in the bar on the side, or to speak to a licensed agent, call 888-753-7207.

About The Author: Cassandra Love

With over a decade of helpful content experience Cassandra has dedicated her career to making sure people have access to relevant, easy to understand, and valuable information. After realizing a huge knowledge gap Cassandra spent years researching and working with health insurance companies to create accessible guides and articles to walk anyone through every aspect of the insurance process.
Follow us for more:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *