Do All Doctors Accept Medicare Supplement Plans?

Medicare Supplement Plans are an undeniably great way to save money on the medical expenses you incur throughout the year. Having one can help you save hundreds of dollars, especially if you have a chronic condition that requires a lot of medical attention. One important question, though, is if Medicare Supplement Plans are accepted by all doctors, since seeing a doctor who does not accept your plan could mean a huge bill that you have to pay out-of- pocket. And if you’re living on a fixed income, that’s the last thing you need! Find out just how Medicare Supplement Plans work with all doctors. 

How Medicare Supplement Plans Work

illustration of hand on a calculator with paper and money stack in the background
Medicare Supplement Plans will cover the 20% coinsurance that Original Medicare does not cover.

There are 10 different Medicare Supplement Plans; each plan offers different coverage and rates. You’ll pay a monthly premium for your Medicare Supplement Plan, and in return, the plan pays most of your expenses that are not covered by Medicare Parts A & B. For example, if you have a $4,000 ambulance bill and have already met your annual Medicare Part B deductible, Medicare Part B will pay 80% of the bill. This leaves you to pay the remaining 20%, $800, out-of-pocket. But if you have a Medicare Supplement Plan that covers Part B copayments and coinsurance, it will pay the remaining $800.

In general, all Medicare Supplement plans cover at least part of:

  • Medicare Part A and Part B deductibles
  • Skilled nursing facility costs after you run out of Medicare-covered days
  • Medicare Part A coinsurance and hospital costs (up to an additional 365 days after Medicare benefits are used up)
  • Medicare Part B coinsurance or copayments
  • Part B excess charges
  • Part A hospice care coinsurance or copayments
  • Blood (first 3 pints)

Some will cover:

  • Foreign travel emergencies (up to plan limits)

Do All Doctors Accept Medicare Supplement Plans?

Now onto the really important part! You should be aware that not all doctors accept Medicare Supplement Plans, so before you purchase one, make sure that your doctor and other providers will accept it. Fortunately, though, 95-96% of doctors and hospitals will accept Medicare Supplement Plans: the general rule is that if the doctor accepts Medicare assignment, they will automatically accept your Medicare Supplement Plan, regardless of your insurance company.  doctor writing on a piece of paper

The important thing is not to fall into the trap that some people fall into, and assume that all doctors accept Medicare. Some do not, and those who don’t accept Medicare will bill you up to 15% more than Medicare’s approved amount, and you will have to pay for all of their services out-of-pocket. 

If you are interested in finding out if the doctors or providers you see accept Medicare, speak to an EZ agent. Our agents work with the top-rated insurance companies in the country, and can make sure that the doctor you want to see is covered, so you don’t end up with any extra or unexpected fees. We will also compare all available Medicare Supplement Plans in your area and find the one that is right for you. No obligation, and no hassle. To get free instant quotes on plans that cover your current doctors, simply enter your zip code on the side, or to speak to a local licensed agent, call 888-753-7207.

About The Author:
Cassandra Love

With over a decade of helpful content experience Cassandra has dedicated her career to making sure people have access to relevant, easy to understand, and valuable information. After realizing a huge knowledge gap Cassandra spent years researching and working with health insurance companies to create accessible guides and articles to walk anyone through every aspect of the insurance process.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *