Can a Medicare Supplement Plan Help Pay for Cancer Treatments?

A cancer diagnosis can happen to anyone at any age, but the older you are, the more likely you are to develop the disease. In fact, according to, the median age at diagnosis for breast cancer is 62, 67 years for colorectal cancer, 71 years for lung cancer, and 66 years for prostate cancer. If you have been diagnosed with cancer, you can fight it, but it will be tough – and expensive. The costs of treating cancer can add up quickly, even if you are enrolled in Medicare, because Medicare only covers some of your medical expenses; the rest you will be required to pay out-of-pocket. The last thing you want to worry about while battling cancer is money, but don’t worry – you don’t have to: a Medicare Supplement Plan can help cover the expenses that Medicare does not. So what kind of cancer treatments does Medicare cover, how much do they cover, and how can a Medicare Supplement Plan help?

What Does Original Medicare Cover?

doctors and nurses in scrubs in an operating room with someone on the table
Medicare will cover surgery for cancer at 100%, but only 80% of any outpatient surgeries.

Coverage For Surgery

Surgery for cancer usually involves removing a tumor and nearby lymph nodes, except in cases of blood cancer or cancers that have already spread. Medicare will cover any medically necessary surgery for cancer: Medicare Part A will cover inpatient surgery, while Medicare Part B covers 80% of any outpatient surgery. You will be responsible for the remaining 20% of the Medicare-approved outpatient amount, as well as for meeting your Part B deductible.

Coverage For Radiation

In high doses, radiation can kill cancer cells by dividing and killing them, which can help shrink tumors. Radiation therapy can be done externally or internally to treat specific parts of your body. Medicare Part A will cover radiation treatment for hospital inpatients, and Medicare Part B will cover 80% of treatment for outpatient and in clinics. You will be responsible for 20% of the Medicare-approved Part B amount, well as for meeting your Part B deductible.

Coverage For Chemotherapy

Chemotherapy is administered orally through pills, or liquids, as well as through an IV into the muscle. Medicare Part A provides coverage if you are a hospital inpatient, and Part B will cover chemotherapy in an outpatient setting, doctor’s office, or clinic. You will be responsible for 20% of the Medicare-approved amount, as well as for meeting your Part B deductible.

How Can A Medicare Supplement Plan Help?

As noted above, Medicare covers all medically-necessary cancer treatments, but not 100%. If you are getting inpatient treatment, you will have to meet your Part A deductible and pay coinsurance if your hospital stay is longer than 60 days; if you are receiving outpatient services, you will pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount, after you meet your Part B deductible. Cancer treatment can be very expensive, so you might find you need help filling the coverage gaps in Medicare, and a Medicare Supplement Plan can do that. 

Medicare Supplement Plans can cover your Part A deductible, and coinsurance costs, as well as your Medicare Part B copayment, coinsurance, and deductible. There are 10 different plans to choose from, and depending on which plan you choose, you could get anywhere from 75% coverage of your medical expenses all the way up to 100%. Each plan offers a range of coverage at different price points; if you are battling cancer, your best option is to get the plan with the most coverage possible, so you will only have to worry about paying your Medicare Supplement Plan monthly premiums. money bags, one green and the other two tan coloredMedicare Supplement Plans can help save you money and keep you from stressing over medical bills for your cancer treatments, leaving you with more time and energy to focus on your health. EZ can compare all 10 Medicare Supplement Plans and find the one that will meet your financial and medical needs. Our agents work with the top-rated insurance companies in the nation, which makes comparing plans easy, quick, and free – our services come at no cost to you, because we just want to help you save more money so you can focus on your health. To get free instant quotes on plans that cover your doctors, simply enter your zip code in the bar above, or to speak to a local licensed agent, call 888-753-7207.

About The Author:
Cassandra Love

With over a decade of helpful content experience Cassandra has dedicated her career to making sure people have access to relevant, easy to understand, and valuable information. After realizing a huge knowledge gap Cassandra spent years researching and working with health insurance companies to create accessible guides and articles to walk anyone through every aspect of the insurance process.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *