Big changes are coming for Medicare next year, affecting your coverage and wallet. Medicare Supplement plans C and F will disappear. Part B premiums and deductibles will rise. And for the first time since 2010, Medicare is changing the surcharges on high-income beneficiaries. Make sure you aware of all the changes ahead so you can make the necessary adjustments to fit both your needs and budget.
For 2019, the standard Medicare Part B premiums are $135.50 a month. Next year’s increase is projected to be about $144.30 a month.
Many seniors depend on Social Security to help pay for their premiums. For 2020, Social Security’s COLA, or cost of living adjustment, is expected to be about 1.6%. This would increase the benefit to $23 a month, which will in turn cover the increase in Part B premiums.
The Part B deductible was $185 in 2019, and is now projected to increase to $197. In order to help pay for the deductible, Medicare beneficiaries will be forced to sign up for a Medicare Supplement plan.
Medicare Supplement Plans C and F
As mentioned, Medicare Supplement plans help beneficiaries pay for their Part B deductible. Plans C and F will no longer be available for purchase by newly-eligible Medicare beneficiaries.
As long as the beneficiary is enrolled in Medicare before 2020, they can keep their plan C or F, or can apply for them at a later date. These two plans are popular plans because they are the only ones that cover the Part B deductible in full.
With these monthly payments, Medicare covers 80% of charges, and the other 20% is up to the beneficiary. Some seniors have a higher income than others, and as a result, they also pay a higher price.
This higher price is referred to as a “surcharge”. The surcharges are imposed because these higher-income beneficiaries can afford to pay more for healthcare. The surcharge is called IRMAA, which stands for Income-Related Monthly Adjustment Amount.
For the past couple of years, high-income beneficiaries were in the set income bracket of $85,000 for an individual, and $170,000 for a married couple. Starting in 2020, the income brackets will be adjusted for inflation.
The surcharge will now apply for those making an income of $87,000 as an individual, and $174,000 for a married couple. Premiums in 2019 range from $189.60 a month to $460.50 a month, depending on income. For 2020, these amounts are projected to range from $202 a month to $490.50 a month, depending on income.
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services have not announced the actual increase in Part B premiums and deductibles yet. However, the projections are enough to make a Medicare beneficiary prepare for the upcoming changes. Seek out any Medicare Supplement plans you might want to get, especially if it is plan C or F.
Do not be in disarray or panic about the changes ahead. If you are enrolled in Medicare, signing up for a Medicare Supplement plan does not have to be a hassle. EZ.Insure can take care of the research of all the plans within your region, provide you with the best options that meet your coverage and price, and sign you up. You will be given your own personal agent who is highly trained within your region. We offer you all of these services for free! To get started, simply enter your zip code in the bar above, or to speak with an agent, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 888-753-7207.