Yes, you read it correctly, eat whatever you want at the right time and lose weight. The Chrono Diet sounds too good to be true, but it has been shown to work, as long as you stick to the strict rules. The diet is also called “Chrono Nutrition,” and was created by a French doctor Alain Delabos in 1986. Alain studied Chronobiology and came to the conclusion that it does not matter the amount of calories you eat, but rather when you eat them. Our bodies function in a rhythmic cycle, which helps the body run efficiently. Foods should be eaten at certain times of the day so the body can function correctly, using only what it needs, and be able to digest it.
How It Works
Chronobiology is all about the right thing at the right time. The Chrono Diet is the same concept; you plan your
meals to optimize absorption of foods and supplements. For example, in the morning, your body will create insulin, so you should stay away from sugar to protect your pancreas from being overloaded. The goal is to create an optimal metabolism, change eating habits, and lose weight. In the end, your body will not accumulate body fat and weight. Intrigued? Let’s learn a little about the rules!
- Breakfast is the most important meal, never skip it.
- Only 3 meals allowed: Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Reduce the intake of sugar.
- No sugar at breakfast, not even fruit.
- Sweet, including fruit, is eaten in the afternoon only as a snack.
- No cow’s milk, yogurt, vegetable fats and cheese, margarine, or baked pastries allowed.
- Meals should be eaten 4-6 hours apart.
- Do not eat anything in between meals
- Drink only water, black coffee, herbal tea, and lemonade without sugar.
- Coffee should be drunk 15 minutes before breakfast and 15 minutes after lunch
- Water, tea, and lemonade should not be consumed half an hour before and half an hour after a meal.
- In the morning, on an empty stomach, drink warm herbal tea, or lemonade.
- You cannot eat bread, pasta, starchy vegetables, and rice after 3 pm.
- No alcohol, except for red wine.
- You can have protein and carbs at breakfast, but not for any other meal.
- You cannot drink any carbonated drinks.
- Dinner should be consumed at least 2 hours before bedtime.
Timing Is Essential
Timing is what the Chrono Diet is all about, and adjusting your meals in tune with your body. The timeline of when you should eat is breakfast, then fast for 5 hours; lunch, then fast for 5 hours; then finally, dinner following a 12 hour fast. The hours between 12 pm and 2 pm are the most lenient time to enjoy a variety of foods. It is a lot to take in, with a lot of rules, so here is what you are expected to eat broken down:
Breakfast: You can eat everything, carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. NO sugar intake whatsoever. Avoid wheat and corn.
Lunch: Eat rich protein foods such as beef, pork, veal, but avoid carbs and bread. Eat vegetables as well, as long as they are not starchy. This is the only time you can eat sweets such as fruits.
Dinner: Eat lighter proteins such as fish or white meat. You can eat cheese and white or green vegetables. Avoid starches such as pasta, bread, and potatoes.
If you want to lose considerable weight in a short amount of time, then before you start the Chrono Diet, it is recommended you do a restriction period. The restriction period lasts about 28 days. During the restriction period, there are no snacks allowed whatsoever. No fruit is allowed, and you can not have any starchy vegetables at all or any carbs at lunchtime. All of this is excluded from the diet during the restriction period because they are all full of sugar.
The Chrono Diet has many rules and may seem tough. However, the more you follow the routine, and keep it up, the healthier you will be and feel, and it will become second nature to you. No counting calories, or intermittent fasting for 16-20 hours. You can eat whatever you want, as much as you want (just remember moderation is key) within the rules and lose weight. It is as simple as that.