8 Foods That Are Good For You, But Toxic If Eaten Too Much

Too much of anything can be a bad thing, even something that’s good for you like water! We are told by doctors and nutritionists that we should be drinking at least 8 cups of water a day. This has been proven to be a myth, and not only that, but if you drink too much water, you can get water intoxication, which leads to electrolyte imbalance. But this is only one of the few instances in which too much of a good thing is toxic. If you are not careful, too much of

bowl of nutmegs with a grater on the table with ground nutmeg next to the grater.
Nutmeg contains a compound called myristicin, which can lead to myristicin poisoning. 

some healthy foods will kill you.

1. Nutmeg

Did you know that nutmeg can be a hallucinogenic drug? Yeah, apparently if you ingest too much nutmeg, about 3-8 hours after, you will experience anxiety, fear, and some will experience psychotic episodes. Nutmeg contains a compound called myristicin, which can lead to myristicin poisoning. 

Doses as much as 20 to 80 grams of nutmeg in powder form is not deadly, but beware consuming too much. A sprinkle in your latte or dessert is fine, buta few tablespoons can be dangerous!

2. Star Fruit

When eaten in normal quantities, starfruit does not possess much risk to a person. However, the delicious fruit contains a potentially toxic neurotoxin for people with kidney disease. It can cause kidney failure. Some common symptoms for people with kidney problems to look for are:

  • Vomiting
  • Weakness
  • Mental Confusion
  • Hiccups
  • Insomnia
  • Altered Consciousness
  • Hypotension
  • Convulsions (long-lasting epileptic seizures)

3. Spinach

Bowl of spinach on a table.
Eat your spinach, but not too much, or else!

“Eat your spinach so you can grow big and strong,” as your mom would say. Well yes, but in moderation, as it is high in oxalic acid. Consuming too much will result in:

  • Kidney stones (ouch!)
  • Low blood pressure
  • Tremors
  • Weak pulse
  • Stomach pain
  • Vomiting

4. Canned Tuna

Tuna has more mercury than any other fish in the sea. Too much mercury can have serious side effects. Consuming too many canned tunas will result in:

  • Vision Problems
  • Hearing Problems
  • Speech Problems
  • Muscle Weakness
  • Balance/Coordination Issues

More than 3-5 cans a week can be dangerous, try to stick to 3 cans or less, preferably of the “light” ones. 

5. Kidney BeansA bunch of red kidney beans

A lot of beans come with the toxin phytohemagglutinin, which comes in especially high concentrations in raw red kidney beans. Eating raw kidney beans are toxic and can lead to severe nausea and vomiting. Luckily raw kidney beans are pretty unappealing.

The only way to be safe eating kidney beans is after it has been cooked or boiled for 10 minutes. 

6. Rhubarb

A lot of people enjoy rhubarb pie, and if you are one of those people, then know that you will be fine if you decide to eat the whole pie by yourself. Rhubarb leaves contain oxalic acid, which is used in bleach. If you eat the leaves, you will experience a burning sensation in your mouth and throat, as well as nausea, convulsions, and death.

Don’t worry, keep eating rhubarb pie, just stay away from their leaves!

7. Potatoes

Bag of potatoes over dirt on the ground
If a potato starts sprouting, throw it away!

Have you ever left a potato, or a sack of them in your kitchen for a while and not had the chance to use them yet? Did you come across a potato or two sprouting? Throw it away! These potatoes contain solanine, which is a natural pesticide toxic to humans. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hallucinations, and even cardiac arrest

8. Pitted Fruits

Pitted fruits like cherries, peaches, and plums all have cyanide in their pits. Yes, cyanide. If you swallow the pit whole, you will be fine, however, if you chew it, that’s when things will take a turn for the worst. 

A single cherry yields roughly 0.17 grams of lethal cyanide per gram of seed, so depending on the size of the kernel, ingesting just one or two freshly crushed pits can lead to death.

When you do anything, moderation is key. This rule also goes for things you eat that are good for you. Make sure to not overeat the mentioned foods, or it can be lethal!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Let's Chat