Medicare Open Enrollment Period (October 15 – December 7) is right around the corner, so it’s time to start reviewing your current plan. Is it working for you? If you’re not totally satisfied with your coverage, then you might want to look for a better plan that has everything you need and saves you money. One of the best ways you can get the best coverage for next year is to add a Medicare Supplement Plan to your Original Medicare plan.
Why A Medicare Supplement Plan?
Medicare Part B only pays for 80% of your medical costs, leaving you to pay 20% of all of your bills out-of-pocket. 20% might not sound like a lot, but if you are living on a fixed income, living with a chronic medical condition, or need to see the doctor regularly, then those bills can really add up. A Medicare Supplement Plan will cover your 20% share, which can save you hundreds of dollars a year! All you have to do is pay a low monthly premium, and let your plan to take care of the rest.
Healthcare and out-of-pocket costs are on the rise, so it’s better to be fully insured in case of an emergency or accident. Having a Medicare Supplement Plan means you won’t have to worry about setting money aside to pay any unexpected bills that you may accumulate.
There are 10 different types of Medicare Supplement Plans to choose from, with each plan offering different coverage and different prices, so you’re sure to find one that fits your financial and medical needs. Medicare Supplement Plans cover:
- Medicare Part A and Part B deductibles
- Skilled nursing facility costs after you run out of Medicare-covered days
- Medicare Part A coinsurance and hospital costs (up to an additional 365 days after Medicare benefits are used)
- Medicare Part B coinsurance or copayment
- Part B excess charges
- Part A hospice care coinsurance or copayment
- Blood transfusions for up to three pints of blood
Some will cover:
- Foreign travel emergencies (up to plan limits)
Another advantage to these plans is that there is no network, so you can go to any doctor or hospital that accepts Medicare assignment.
How To Add A Medicare Supplement Plan
With Medicare Open Enrollment approaching, you’re probably getting a lot of information in the mail about your plan. If all of this has you rethinking your coverage, then now is the time to add a Medicare Supplement Plan. These are your options during this period:
- If you currently have Original Medicare, you can choose to stay on your Original Medicare plan and add a Medicare Supplement Plan to fill the gaps. You may not be eligible for guaranteed issue, but the sooner you apply for a plan, the better.
- If you are on a Medicare Advantage Plan, but are considering switching over to Original Medicare, then Open Enrollment is the best time – you’ll be able to add a Medicare Supplement Plan with guaranteed issue, meaning you won’t have to face the underwriting process.
- If you’re enrolled in Original Medicare and your employer-based coverage is ending, you can choose to add a Medicare Supplement Plan for extra coverage.
The Medicare Open Enrollment Period is the time to look at all your options so you can save money in the coming year. You can choose to stay with Original Medicare, or consider switching from a Medicare Advantage Plan to Original Medicare while adding a Medicare Supplement Plan. A Medicare Supplement Plan will provide you with more coverage, while putting more money back into your wallet. This will ensure that you have great coverage next year, plus you’ll have peace of mind knowing that all you have to pay (aside from your Medicare Part B deductible) is one low monthly premium, and all of your medical costs will be covered.
If you want the best Medicare Supplement Plan from one of the top-rated Medicare Supplement companies, EZ can help. Our agents work with all of the top-rated Medicare Supplement companies, and we’ll compare all available plans in your area within minutes. We’ll find you the best plan with the most savings. To get free Medicare Supplement Plan quotes, enter your zip code in the bar above, or if you prefer to speak to an agent directly, call 888-753-7207. Our agents are ready to help you get the best coverage for next year!